Raw Is War (Network Version)

Moderators: Rich666, PuroresuLove~!

basilel

Raw Is War (Network Version)

Post by basilel »

Can anyone explain why Raw Is War from the WWE Network is censored? I have downloaded three scattered episodes from 1997, 1998 & 1999, and all have harmless words like "as*" and "son of a b*tch" bleeped out. Are these different to the '93 and '94 packs presented on this site? If all episodes are censored, especially during the peak of the Attitude Era ('99-'00), then what's the point? I understand and fully appreciate that the picture quality is pristine, but I would also expect to have them uncut and unedited :?
PuroresuLove~!

Re: Raw Is War (Network Version)

Post by PuroresuLove~! »

Can you name an example? :)
I think I dled every RAW is WAR episode they upped between '97-'02 so far and I haven't recognized this.

They actually put up the uncensored version, for example in 2002 when Steve Austin called the nWo "chicken shits", they bleeped it out on live TV, but not on the network.
The same goes for '98, when Steve Austin called McMahon "asshole" for the time; later he says "you don't have the balls to fire [...]" which got censored by USA Network, now you've got it uncensored.

The only thing they've censored I know is in hype spots, like at the beginning when they recapped things from last week or so.
Sadly they had to bleep a lot at the beginning (maybe until the end of summer '97) when someone said those words.
Maybe this could be the reason, because WWE edited them censored, so there's no uncensored version available - except of the live airing. ^^
basilel

Post by basilel »

One example is the May 4th 1998 episode. While Stone Cold is on colour commentary (1hr:12min), he refers to Terry Funk as "one of the toughest b*stards" (bleeped) and a "son of a b*tch" (bleeped).
The only reason I can think is that this episode was capped with the parental lock system turned on. I've yet to watch the '97 and '99 episodes.
PuroresuLove~!

Post by PuroresuLove~! »

As far as I know the parental lock is only for TV-MA stuff? And the RAW is WAR episodes until '99 were TV-PG - at least back then.

However, you're right, this is censored. This episodes was taped a week before it aired on USA Network and that's why it was censored back then, so I guess there's no uncensored version available, since WWE did it. ;)
basilel

Post by basilel »

Thanks for your explanation. So, anything WWE censored, it cannot uncensor? Or was it the USA Network at the time that censored it? Does WWE not own the original broadcast tapes? Seems odd that WWE can remove watermarks from past WCW content (e.g. Clash of the Champions on TBS) and also seamlessly replace wrestler's intro audio (e.g. DDP's Self High Five), but it cannot remove bleeps?
I'm not trying to 'nit-pick' on this issue, but what would be a more sensible reason is that WWE cannot be bothered 'uncensoring' things. I'm back to square one.
PuroresuLove~!

Post by PuroresuLove~! »

Sure WWE has the tapes, if USA censored something by themselves they muted it, not bleeped it.
One example is the October '98 episode - read above -, they muted "balls" by Austin, but now on the Network its uncensored.

There is a difference between remove a bleep and replace wrestler's music. ;) They extract the commentary and mix it with new music. If you don't have the original promo uncensored where should WWE get the uncensored words etc.?

However, this is all what I'm guessing, since the episodes which were taped in advance were bleeped by WWF and not USA, they only muted the live broadcasts, which WWE uploads uncensored.