Preview of Downloaded RAR Files

Moderators: Rich666, PuroresuLove~!

Hadschy

Preview of Downloaded RAR Files

Post by Hadschy »

Good Day Gentlemen,

In this matter I'm trying to express an issue with my brief technical knowledge:

In my VLC player sometimes I would like to preview a downloaded RAR archive which is provided in several parts. However, that option is not given the way the archive has been packed. Any idea why?

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and keep up the excellent work!

Cheers
Rich666

Re: Preview of Downloaded RAR Files

Post by Rich666 »

So you're trying to see what is inside a .rar file before opening it, using VLC player?

I can't be reading that right because that doesn't really make any sense.
Hadschy

Post by Hadschy »

If a video is provided in several parts.rar and I have fully downloaded part1.rar it makes perfectly sense to immediately start viewing it instead of waiting for all parts to been downloaded and extracted.
Rich666

Post by Rich666 »

Well for a start you can't view rar files in VLC player, you need to use winrar or 7zip to open them, but anyway. That is what made no sense to me.
Although you do realise how a rar file works right? When a larger file is split into several parts (for example 3 rar files), it's not exactly split across the 3 rar files' equal sized parts, it's split into thousands and unbuilt across the 3 at random. You have to download all of them to even unpack or use the files.
Hadschy

Post by Hadschy »

You are completely misstaken if you think you cannot view a rar file in the vlc player without the help of a programm like winrar or zip etc. I do that daily with part.rar files or complete archives.rar provided by other sources and thats why I try to address that issue in here. That option is not given with part.rar files from fight-bb and might be related to the way the archive have been created. It would be a great improvement to your service if you could get this managed.
PuroresuLove~!

Post by PuroresuLove~! »

What you are describing is the scenario that the complete video is packed into one RAR archive.
Most of the times, IcE splits them into several RAR archives (.part1, .part2, ...) and this is why you can't view them in VLC without extracting them beforehand. ;)
Rich666

Post by Rich666 »

What s/he said (basically agreeing with me), and I'm/both of us are not mistaken.

If you could view an entire file with a part rar file then why bother with ever splitting it to begin with and why bother to ever download the other parts?
PuroresuLove~!

Post by PuroresuLove~! »

Tell me, he (Rich666) did not just refer to me as a "she". :O
Hadschy

Post by Hadschy »

I came here to suggest an improvement the way you create an rar archive but you dont want to understand or you cant understand. Both of you have received an PM but for now I'm done here.

Tell she all the best
Rich666

Post by Rich666 »

PuroresuLove~! wrote:Tell me, he (Rich666) did not just refer to me as a "she". :O
Quite the opposite, I referred to you as s/he meaning she/he (but you know, shortened). I mean I didn't know you were male OR female :P

Just for info:
I got the S/he thing from a game (Final Fantasy 9) where they refer to a character that has no sex either way, so it's used to describe them without using their name directly.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

you cant do that because I rar it with a folder to change md5 value

If you like to donate via paypal or BTC please send a PM.
Every $ helps to keep the site alive.We need donations to fund our server costs so your contribution would mean a lot, no matter the amount you donate.

BTC
37j1MJxmbAYVU2rRmfXWZv7vrEJ9qcqvuF
Hadschy

Post by Hadschy »

admin wrote:you cant do that because I rar it with a folder to change md5 value
Here we go!

Any attempt to change that in order to allow what I have suggested?

Or is your way an additional security meassure?
PuroresuLove~!

Post by PuroresuLove~! »

Hadschy wrote:Or is your way an additional security meassure?
Yep, it's the only way for IcE to change MD5 value - at least as far as I know. ;)
Rich666

Post by Rich666 »

Kinda off topic but when OwnagePranks (youtube) talks about computer during a prank, he asks if the problem his computer is having is something to do with the "MD5Hash Majoogly", I thought that was all made up ;D
Hubs

Post by Hubs »

Hadschy wrote:Good Day Gentlemen,

In this matter I'm trying to express an issue with my brief technical knowledge:

In my VLC player sometimes I would like to preview a downloaded RAR archive which is provided in several parts. However, that option is not given the way the archive has been packed. Any idea why?

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and keep up the excellent work!

Cheers
using WinRar, extract the RAR file with "keep broken file" option checked. That works fine.